1. In 1905 David Young, president of the Board of Alderman, served as acting mayor when William H. Belcher resigned from office.
2. In 1907 William Berdan, President of the Board of Finance, became acting mayor, filling the vacancy caused by the death of Mayor Johnson. 3. Clifford L. Newman, president of the Board of Finance, became acting mayor in 1919 when Mayor Amos H. Radcliff resigned to serve in Congress.
4. Mayor Raymond J. Newman died June 13, 1928, five months and two weeks after he took office. William Cadmus, president of the board of Finance, filled the vacancy until the general election in November when Mayor John V. Hinchliffe was elected for the unexpired term.
5. Following the death of Mayor O’Bryne in December, 1959, William H. Dillistin, president of the Board of Finance, served as mayor for the unexpired term ending December 31, 1960.
6. Mayor Lawrence F. Kramer resigned from office to become the commissioner of the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs. Arthur C. Dwyer, president of the Board of Finance, became acting mayor October 15, 1971.
7. Mayor Frank X. Graves Jr. died march 4, 1990. Anna Lisa Dopirack, City Business Administrator, filled the vacancy until a general election was held in May, when Mayor William Pascrall was elected.
8. Martin G. Barnes, 3rd Ward Councilman, became acting mayor in 1997, when Mayor William Pascrell resigned to serve in Congress.