In 1891 the city celebrated the centennial of its founding. A part of this celebration was the beginning of the erection of the present city hall. Where the building now stands stood formerly St. Paul's Episcopal Church; this had a little city block all to itself, Colt street separating it on the north from an old hotel, the Hamilton House, and a row of offices. The church, hotel and offices were removed and Colt street moved to make room for the present city hall. The fire of 1902 burned out the inside of the new building, but did not distroy the walls. Until the interior of the city hall could be repaired and fitted up the city offices were scattered about in many different places, the court house, post office, Entre Nous lceum, the lecture room of the First Presbyterian church and many other places.