https://images.openai.com/static-rsc-4/hiyrgUKm5SMcDPLYZIUj_1wPBoK_0Nnnaqo4XUqkWgUzAaARQAEP6-QPdsDIL3XVP3FiPAAmysTauOt9e44zMFx-Cy6DSz6jTEOAusvXGOABEI_Uh3KK6vw1WOIfQsakbw_ZD77DD6fJP2bNSQzR2HAVQZYVG55hlsmQvqrntXNdV7uGn7Q5zCsBlIfLxa3d?purpose=fullsize https://images.openai.com/static-rsc-4/mT28Bl1VTVCu8p-XIUewUaPMiKL3Fndagxng7chMrri9Xxo6Je6R_kMObgx0QQZ-pYdICMaUC9GD2BcUpv38bNHZFU6k2azYimxxa6FQor-_ihgfFglkKhrdbR0fHdUFnu0e8kHpB6vSsQxhF22aN2wqbeFiojdINhYGOkdY1FUgZkEwu4Ibr-Bl5QjLwxCw?purpose=fullsize https://images.openai.com/static-rsc-4/4mpwQnVtmmuTLdTBzM_5S7YTm7gCXmjN303Qla-qxreVb9yIQB7fXnmhKWWmDBRJnPe2vtgGp2frZIy6f0YRtA58METjbpXPjkY2E0S0T_8WeYXHHQHf_UpuHGgiakwN2lddh3Y5FvEZBHNkPmbnl8rBZQwLwRHyezSVwoXomJoi34U1eFOj1_Tjxp1NN-G9?purpose=fullsize
 

St. Paul’s Episcopal Church is one of Paterson’s most significant historic churches and among the finest examples of late-19th-century ecclesiastical architecture in New Jersey. Located at 422 Broadway at East 18th Street, it serves as an Episcopal parish in the Diocese of Newark and has been a center of worship and community service since 1817.

Early History

  • The Episcopal congregation in Paterson was organized in 1817, only a few years after the founding of the city.
  • The first services were held in borrowed locations, including the Old Dutch Reformed Church and the Paterson Academy.
  • The parish was officially incorporated as St. Paul’s Episcopal Church on April 29, 1825.
  • The first church, a wooden Gothic-style building, was erected on Hamilton Square after land was donated by Roswell L. Colt of the Society for Establishing Useful Manufactures (S.U.M.).

Fire and Rebuilding

The original church was destroyed in the great fire of June 26, 1848, which swept through downtown Paterson. Parishioner Robert Johnston died while attempting to save the church organ.

A replacement brownstone Gothic church, designed by architect Frank Wills, was completed and consecrated in 1851 on the original foundation.

Present Church

The current church was built after the city purchased the old downtown property for construction of Paterson’s City Hall.

Construction highlights include:

  • Ground broken: 1893
  • Cornerstone laid: May 11, 1895
  • First service: May 25, 1897
  • Architect: William Halsey Wood of Newark
  • Inspired by Durham Cathedral in England
  • Romanesque and Norman Revival design
  • Pink Pompton granite exterior
  • Tower approximately 94 feet high
  • Cost exceeded $375,000, an enormous sum for the era.

Artistic Treasures

The church contains remarkable works of religious art, including:

  • Twelve windows by the Louis Comfort Tiffany Studios
  • Memorial windows by the George L. Payne Studios of Paterson
  • Caen marble altar
  • Gorham silver lectern, cross, and liturgical furnishings
  • Magnificent carved oak interior
  • Memorial Rood Screen dedicated in 1920 honoring parishioners who died in World War I.

Community Leadership

During the long rectorate of The Rev. Dr. David Stuart Hamilton (1895–1938), St. Paul’s became one of the largest Episcopal parishes in the United States:

  • More than 2,000 communicants
  • Over 1,200 Sunday School students
  • Ranked among the nation’s ten largest Episcopal congregations.

Outreach

For decades, St. Paul’s has been known for serving the Paterson community through:

  • Emergency food pantry
  • Men’s shelter
  • Transitional housing
  • Adult literacy programs
  • Community development initiatives

Many of these ministries continue through the affiliated St. Paul’s Community Development Corporation. St. Paul’s Community Development Corporation

Visiting

The church remains an active parish.

  • Address: 422 Broadway, Paterson, NJ 07501
  • Phone: (973) 278-7900
  • Sunday worship and weekday office hours are offered; calling ahead is recommended before visiting. St. Paul’s Episcopal Church

Because of its architecture, Tiffany glass, and its role in Paterson’s civic and religious history, St. Paul’s is widely regarded as one of the city’s most important historic landmarks.