Founded in 1867 by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth, St. Joseph’s Hospital is the oldest hospital in Paterson and one of New Jersey’s most historic health care institutions. For more than 150 years, it has provided medical care to the residents of Paterson and northern New Jersey while remaining committed to its founding mission of serving all people, regardless of their ability to pay.

A Hospital for a Growing Industrial City

During the mid-nineteenth century, Paterson was one of America’s fastest-growing industrial cities. Its silk mills, locomotive works, and machine shops attracted thousands of immigrants, but rapid growth also brought poverty, workplace injuries, and outbreaks of infectious disease. The city lacked a permanent hospital where the sick and injured could receive proper medical care.

Recognizing this need, Father William McNulty of St. John’s Roman Catholic Church invited the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth to establish a hospital. On September 8, 1867, four Sisters opened St. Joseph’s Hospital in a modest twelve-bed wooden house at 47–53 Church Street. The hospital was supported by donations from local citizens, parish organizations, and volunteers, reflecting the community’s commitment to caring for the poor and the sick.

Moving to Main Street

The small Church Street hospital quickly became overcrowded. In 1869, the Sisters purchased the former Alexander P. Fonda estate on Main Street, consisting of nearly ten acres of land. The larger property allowed the hospital to expand with additional patient wards, a laundry, bakery, boiler house, and other support facilities.

Although burdened with substantial debt during the economic depression of the 1870s, the Sisters persevered through careful management and community support. They even established an industrial school to provide employment and training for local residents during difficult economic times.

Caring During Epidemics

St. Joseph’s played a vital role during public health emergencies. When a severe smallpox epidemic struck Paterson in 1883, the hospital converted a separate building on its grounds into an isolation ward to care for contagious patients while protecting others from infection.

As Paterson’s population continued to grow, additional wings were added to the hospital in 1885. By the early twentieth century, the original wooden buildings had become inadequate. Construction began on a modern brick and stone hospital in 1909, and the impressive new main building opened in 1912, becoming one of the finest medical facilities in New Jersey.

Growth and Medical Education

Patient admissions increased dramatically as the hospital expanded:

  • 102 patients in 1868
  • 603 patients in 1880
  • 1,203 patients in 1895
  • 2,313 patients in 1912
  • More than 3,800 patients by 1918

To meet the growing demand for trained medical personnel, St. Joseph’s established a School of Nursing, whose graduates became respected nurses throughout New Jersey. The hospital continually added new surgical facilities, maternity services, laboratories, and specialty departments as medical science advanced.

Sister Mary Clare

One of the most influential figures in the hospital’s history was Sister Mary Clare, who served for many years as superintendent. Under her leadership, St. Joseph’s experienced tremendous growth in both facilities and reputation. Her dedication to compassionate patient care helped establish the hospital as one of New Jersey’s leading charitable medical institutions.

Modern Medical Center

Throughout the twentieth century, St. Joseph’s continued expanding its services. The institution evolved from a community hospital into a regional medical center offering advanced surgery, emergency medicine, cardiac care, neonatal intensive care, pediatrics, oncology, and specialized medical treatment.

Today, St. Joseph’s University Medical Center serves as:

  • A major teaching hospital
  • A regional trauma center
  • Home to St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital
  • A leader in emergency medicine and specialty care
  • One of northern New Jersey’s largest health care providers

The hospital continues to provide care for hundreds of thousands of patients annually while maintaining its founding mission of compassion, dignity, and service.

150 Years of Service

In 2017, St. Joseph’s celebrated its 150th anniversary. A historical marker was dedicated at the original Church Street site, honoring the humble beginnings of the twelve-bed hospital that grew into one of New Jersey’s premier medical centers. The celebration recognized generations of physicians, nurses, Sisters of Charity, volunteers, and staff whose dedication transformed a small charitable hospital into an internationally respected health care institution.

Legacy

The story of St. Joseph’s Hospital mirrors the history of Paterson itself. Born during the city’s industrial expansion, the hospital cared for factory workers, immigrants, children, and families through epidemics, economic hardships, wars, and modern medical challenges. Its commitment to treating every patient with dignity—regardless of race, religion, or financial means—has remained unchanged since its founding in 1867.

Today, St. Joseph’s University Medical Center stands as both a symbol of Paterson’s rich history and a cornerstone of health care for northern New Jersey, continuing the healing mission begun by four Sisters of Charity more than a century and a half ago.